Sunday, August 30, 2009

Getting ready for the fall piracy season

While I'm aware we have three more weeks before the autumnal equinox officially arrives, Labour Day is fast approaching and, with it, the virtual end of summer. It's been a strange summer in these parts (more rain than most would like), and relatively quiet on the seas. We did have the Arctic Sea incident to ponder - which is still playing out - and, of course, piracy off the Horn of Africa has been in a lull as a result of the summer monsoon winds. If experience is anything to go by, we can expect to see Somali pirate activity to resume in the coming weeks, once the winds die down. So there will be much to watch as the piracy season resumes in that region.

Meanwhile, I'm in the midst of taking some time off. Might even squeeze in a few days away from the office. But rest assured I maintain a high tech security system to safeguard my valuables here: ADT has nothing on this. Only my four-legged companion knows how to disable it - and you don't want to mess with him, either. Trust me.

No comments: