Sunday, February 10, 2008

Spending time with Emma

The process of delving into modern-day piracy has taken me many places over the course of the last couple of years, such as Canada, the United States, Britain, Singapore, Malaysia and Kenya. And I've just returned from what I trust is the last of my journeys, a voyage from the Far East to Europe aboard the Danish container vessel Emma Maersk. For gearheads out there, the Emma is one of the largest ships afloat and I hope to give you some insights into life aboard her shortly.

On the trip from Malaysia to Algeciras, Spain, there was the threat of pirates, though not against Emma: a tug operated by a subsidiary of Maersk was hijacked off Somalia. The crew are still being held hostage at writing. More on all this shortly, as well as my trip

No comments: